Mr. Wonderful spent a great deal of his Air Force training time in the southern United States. While serving in that part of the country he developed a real taste for the local cuisine. Here’s my interpretation of New Orleans Jambalaya.
There are a few requirements when cooking for Mr. Wonderful. One of which is meat, lots and lots of meat.
Chop prosciutto and slice sausage
Place sausage and prosciutto in a dutch oven over medium heat and cook until browned slightly
Stir in garlic, onion and green pepper. I dice my peppers and onions and place them in freezer bags and freeze them when I am harvesting and processing things from my garden. This makes recipes like this faster and so easy.
You’ll also need rice, carrots, tomatoes and chicken broth. I use brown rice but regular long grain white rice will work just fine as well.
Add rice and carrots to the dutch oven
Pour in tomatoes, chicken broth and spices
Bring to a boil, cover, and place in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until rice is cooked. Stir in shrimp in the last five minutes of cooking and return to the oven.
Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream if desired.
- 1/2 pound Prosciutto – chopped
- 1 pound Andouille Sausage – sliced
- 1 pound uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 diced Green pepper
- 1 diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 pint canned carrots, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 quarts canned tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- In a dutch oven, cook prosciutto over medium heat until slightly browned, add sliced sausage, onion, peppers and garlic. Cook and stir for five minutes.
- Stir in carrots, tomatoes, rice, broth and spices. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat and place in oven for 30 – 40 minutes, add shrimp in the last five minutes of cooking. The shrimp will turn pink when fully cooked.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.
If you can’t get Prosciutto – very lean bacon is a suitable substitute. Any type of ring sausage can be used in place of the Andouille, Chorizo is wonderful! If chicken broth is not available, substitute one cup of water and 1 bouillon cube for each cup of broth
Cooking time (duration): 20
Microformatting by hRecipe.