We’ve been having another winter storm and Mr. Wonderful has spent a lot of time plowing the driveway, just trying to keep ahead of the blowing and drifting snow. I knew he’d be hungry when he came in and made this amazing cake for dessert.
It’s fairly simple; shortening, sugar, eggs, flour some leavening agents and spices, apples and walnuts. You can peel the apples if desired but I don’t. The skins cook up just fine and add a little color to the cake. I used Fuji’s in this recipe but Granny Smith’s also are wonderful and give a good tart contrast to the sweetness of the cake and sauce.
The batter will be very thick!
Spread in a 9×13 baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray or greased in some manner.
Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, untill a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Look at all that golden brown yumminess!
While the cake cools, combine sugar, cornstarch and half-and-half in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and boil for four minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and stir in two sticks of butter until melted. Yes, I said 2 sticks of butter! Add salt and Bourbon.
Serve cake warm
Spoon warm sauce over cake. I recommend a bowl because you will want to drown this cake in this wonderful Bourbony sauce!
Recipe: Drunken Apple Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup butter
- 6 Tablespoons Bourbon Whiskey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pre heat oven to 350
- Spray a 9×13 pan with baking spray
- Cream shortening and sugar
- Add eggs and mix
- Add dry ingredients, mix well
- Fold in apples and walnuts
- Spread in prepared baking pan
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For Sauce Mix sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan
- Stir in half-and-half Bring to a boil and boil for 4 minutes
- Remove from heat and add butter, stirring until melted
- Add Bouron and salt
Serve cake warm with warm sauce topping
Substitute 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract in place of the Bourbon if desired. This sauce is also wonderful if made with Rum
Cooking time (duration): 15
Meal type: dessert
Microformatting by hRecipe.